Honor Thy Father: Disqualified from MMFF Award Best Picture Category?

We The Pvblic
490

Last Saturday, the MMFF Executive Committee disqualified ‘Honor Thy Father’ because the committee said that the producers did not disclose the movie’s participation in the Cinema One Originals Film Festival as the festival’s opening film.

Letter from the MMFF Committee

mmff letter

The film producer said (Monteverde), that because Honor Thy Father was a last minute addition to the MMFF roster, they had already accepted Cinema One’s invitation when they found out they would be included in the MMFF. They believe that it was just a matter of scheduling and minor misunderstanding.

letter1

Monteverde said that they informed the MMFF about this through communications via phone and email. According to him, they also complied with MMFF’s request that the screening did not generate any form of revenue and was by indeed an ‘invitation only’.

email1794638_196090384069024_862046495845928093_n

This statement was posted in the ‘Honor Thy Father’ Facebook page clarifying that they complied with the MMFF regulations. Moneteverde voiced out his deep sentiments on the matter. He questioned the true basis of the decision and its further enforcement. He ended his message with this.

“But if no one would care or bother to investigate, then we simply wish that the moviegoers, the Filipino people would start to question and be more critical of what, year in and year out, is passed off to them as good and true,”

The MMFF Awards is today, December 27.

You can read the whole statement of Monteverde below.

When Reality Entertainment partnered with John Lloyd Cruz in producing “Honor Thy Father” we agreed to make a movie that would capture a small portion of the struggle of the Filipino as he tried to transcend the back-breaking realities and limitations of his life. We wanted to tell the story of Edgar, a Filipino who finally fights back. After putting up with so much oppression, he confronts the people that have made his life hell, people motivated by greed for money and lust for power.

Little did I know then that this same narrative would find its way to the movie’s own history.

Today I received a letter from the Metro Manila Film Festival informing me that their Executive Committee had disqualified our movie from the Best Picture Category of the 2015 MMFF Awards. The reason for this, the letter said, was our “non-disclosure” of our participation in the CinemaOne Originals Film Festival as the Opening Film.

Let me refute this allegation of non-disclosure. If you will recall, Honor Thy Father was a late addition to the MMFF 2015 lineup. It had been rejected by their selection committee when the lineup was announced in June. On October 23 our film was officially offered a slot after an entry pulled out. By then we had already accepted CinemaOne’s invitation to screen as Opening Film. We informed the MMFF Secretariat, both by email and by phone, about this. We complied with their request for a letter from CinemaOne head Ronald Arguelles attesting that the screening was non-revenue generating and by invitation only. We have all of this on record.

Secondly, each MMFF entry is allowed a maximum of two premieres. Our CinemaOne screening would be our premiere.

Let me repeat: we complied with all the MMFF’s requirements; we did not commit any non-disclosure of any kind; no MMFF rule was ever violated by Honor Thy Father.

I am questioning the reasons, the timing, and the means employed in enforcing this decision by the MMFF Executive Committee. Where is due process in all of this? We were merely informed of their decision, not given any opportunity to air our side. They sent the letter today. The awarding ceremony is tomorrow. Are they merely being good scouts and sticklers for the rules, even when no rule was broken? Or is there some other reason? Why disqualify the movie only from the Best Picture category and not all categories? Whose interests are being protected by this last-minute decision?

Together with my director Erik Matti, co-executive producer and actor John Lloyd Cruz, and everyone behind Honor Thy Father, I demand answers. We demand an investigation. But if no one would care or bother to investigate, then we simply wish that the moviegoers, the Filipino people would start to question and be more critical of what, year in and year out, is passed off to them as good and true.

They can have their Best Picture and all the other awards. We just want to keep making movies that people will care about, MMFF or no MMFF.

Today is a sad day for the industry I was born into and love dearly. But it doesn’t have to stay this way.

Let’s do something about it. Let’s end the silence.

Dondon Monteverde

Reality Entertainment Inc.

The movie, also known as Con-Man, is directed and written by Erik Matti, starring John Lloyd Cruz. It was screened in the Contemporary World Cinema section of the 2015 Toronto International Film Festival. It has been selected to be screened at the 2015 Metro Manila Film Festival.

Watch the film trailer.

Do you think the MMFF is right with their decision? or Monteverde and Matti has a strong point? Let us know your thoughts on the comment section below.

Facebook Comments