5 Fat loss tips for starters

Johnel Oliquino

For a lot of dieters, losing weight and excess body fat can be frustrating. For us Pinoys, saying no to oh-so-delicious adobo and moist cassava cake is just as bad as breaking up with your lovers, if not worse. Separation anxiety kicks in, and for some, it even affects their productivity at work.

We’ve all been there, done that (and maybe have given up along the way). But as they say, the breakdown to attaining your desired body has 70 percent reliance on a disciplined diet and the remaining 30 percent on exercise—you can never just go on a diet without exercise (or the other way around) and expect results.

But don’t worry, we’re here to help! Here are five habit-forming tips for you to try to not only achieve your summer body goals, but actually live a healthier lifestyle:

1. Eat Healthy

Sounds easy right? Well, not really. Tell that to someone who drinks soda everyday, or someone who is in a foul mood just because he has not eaten white rice for breakfast. Breaking away from the habits of eating starchy food and high glycemic indexed carbohydrates is not an easy feat. If you cannot get away with white rice altogether, try reducing it and complement it with high-fiber food like vegetables and root crops like kamote or beets.

2. Avoid Sugar Free Drinks

Fine, sugar-free sodas and juices are rid of sugar, and in fact, do not contain any calories derived from it. Here’s the bad news, though: All sugar-free drinks contain sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are as bad as real sugar, if not worse.

3. Fat isn’t all bad

Yes, you read that right. Remember that fat found in milk is considered as good fat, a macronutrient your body needs. Most low-fat dairies contain sugar to make it tastier. Eating fat itself won’t make you fat. Having too much unbalanced meals and eating processed foods are the main culprits. If you are not sure what kind of food you should be eating, consult a nutrition expert or a fitness coach to help you out.

4. Go for High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)

I am a huge advocate of HIIT simply because it is sustainable and practical in your daily life. The exercise only lasts around 30-45 minutes, maximum. It focuses on cardio, training your body to adapt to the rapid succession of different exercises with little to no rest in between. It pushes your body to the limit until failure. It will definitely scorch those extra body fat!

5. Avoid Any Fad Diet

Always go for a diet that is sustainable and will complement your lifestyle. Changing your eating habit drastically can be unsustainable in the long-term and will only get you frustrated. There is also a high chance that you will binge on your usual comfort food once you lose the motivation – something very common for dieters who expect quick results.

Always remember that being healthy requires a change in lifestyle and developing a new habit!

Johnel Oliquino is an account executive of XS Multimedia and a fitness coach at Billy James Fitness Center.

Facebook Comments